Signs That You Have Cancer
Cancer is essentially a cluster of diseases that can cause a number of signs, some of which are quite obvious while others can only be observed by paying close attention. These signs or symptoms depend on the place of cancer, its size and its effect on tissues or organs of the body. Technically speaking, there’s a difference between signs and symptoms. Signs are the signals, which are apparent to people in contact with the victim of cancer, such as a doctor or a relative and symptoms are the signals which need keen attention to in order to be found, like fever or lung problems. Signs and symptoms are often ignored for a number of reasons, for example, some people can’t afford medical help, some are ignorant of these signs and some people don’t want to know if they actually have cancer while some just don’t care, but the truth is that cancer is treated best when it is discovered early. So, here are a few signs that can help in identification of cancer and therefore can lead to a better chance of treatment.
General Signs of Cancer:
Here are a few signs of cancer that are quite general.
- Unexplained Weight Loss is a major sign of cancer as most cancer victims lose weight. When you can’t explain a weight loss of 10 pounds or more then it’s a sign that you should get yourself checked for cancer.
- Fever is a common occurrence with cancer. Most cancer victims do get fever at some point. Sometimes it may be an early sign of cancer. Mostly it happens when the cancer begins to spread.
- Fatigue is the kind of tiredness that can’t be helped by taking enough rest. It leaves the patient restless. It may be an early sign in cancers like Leukemia, where blood loss is a cause of it.
- Pain mostly means that the cancer has spread from its original place. It is a sign of cancer in many sorts of cancers such as bone cancer or testicular cancer.
- Skin Changes can be caused by cancers other than skin cancer. Some of these are:
1. Itching (Pruritis)
2. Reddened Skin (Erythema)
3. Yellowish Skin and Eyes (Jaundice)
4. Excessive Hair Growth
5. Darker Skin
Signs of Certain Cancers:
Some signs are associated with certain cancers. Some of the signs are given below:
- A change in Bowel Habits,such as constipation, Diarrhea and a change in stool size can be linked to Colon cancer. Pain an blood in urine is a sign of Bladder or Prostate cancer.
- Discharge of blood from nipples is a sign of Breast cancer. Vaginal bleeding in an unusual way can be a sign of the cancer of the cervix while coughing up blood is associated with Lung cancer.
- A cough that doesn’t go away may be a sign of Lung cancer. Hoarseness is a possible sign of the cancer of larynx.
- A sign of the cancer of esophagus, stomach or pharynx is indigestion or a problem in swallowing.
- A change, such as a lump or thickening in breast, testicle or lymph nodes or any other soft tissue of the body should be reported right away because it just might be a sign of cancer.
The signs mentioned above are the most common ones. If you feel like there’s something wrong with the way your body works or if some problems takes longer to cure, you should immediately consult a doctor and so have a better chance of surviving cancer because the treatment works best if it’s diagnosed early.